When you suspect that your partner may be behaving in an unfaithful fashion, it can not only be difficult to determine whether or not your suspicions are valid, but also what next steps you might take.
The team at PInow surveyed their network of trusted infidelity investigators to discover what the common indications of infidelity in a relationship are and created the following infographic which displays the six major signs of a cheating spouse, what to expect in an infidelity investigation and other statistics on infidelity and marriage.
Signs of a Cheating Spouse
1. Changes in Intimacy
Private investigators listed either an increase or decrease in intimacy and affection as the most common sign of a cheating spouse.
2. Suspicious Phone Habits
“A common denominator is the cell phone. Spouses hiding their cell phones do so for a reason.” – Larry Polte, PPS Investigations
3. Changes in Appearance
“Although each case is very unique, the clearest indicator that we have found has been the change in appearance.” – DK Holzworth, CFS, Investigative Information Brokers
4. Suspicious Internet Use
“Staying up late to work on the computer is a big indicator. Excessive Internet usage, especially late at night, is a red flag.” – Jodi LaBorde, Nola Detective Agency
5. Changes in Work Routine
Many investigators agree that changes in work routine including a new job, recent layoff or a sudden need to work late regularly can be indicators of infidelity.
6. Changes in Bathing Habits
“They either start dressing differently, are more concerned about appearance or change their style of intimate wear. This along with a change in physical appearance and hygiene are good indicators.” Quentin Estey, Estey Associates
- Average cost of Infidelity Investigations – $2,377 (prices were listed as low as $500 and as high as $5,500)
- Length of Infidelity Investigations – 4 hours to 6 months. Survey revealed that the length of an infidelity investigation can be anywhere from just a few hours to over 6 months.
- Investigation cases that verify infidelity – Over 75%. 62% of investigators say that infidelity is confirmed in over 75% of cases.
By the Numbers
- Married people that cheat – 30% to 60%. Statistics range due to an unwillingness to admit infidelity in studies.
- Who was the cheating spouse – Husbands = 55% / Wives = 45%.
- Who would cheat if they wouldn’t get caught? – 74% of husbands and 68% of wives.
- Is your intuition correct? – Wives who suspect their husbands are cheating are correct 85% of the time while husbands who suspect their wives are cheating are correct 50% of the time.