The power of having a good, experienced private investigator on your side can make all the difference! It is often helpful for my clients to hear about past cases that may be related to their situation. When appropriate (and, of course, leaving any specific persons who were involved completely anonymous) I often share cases with them that may help them know that their situation is never unique, and how we have turned problematic, difficult situations around for our clients to completely change their circumstances.
– S. Brian Mathews, Owner and Chief Investigator, LA Intelligence, Inc.
If all you need is a background check, or a restraining order served, you don’t need James Bond. However, you may be faced with a more complex issue that could be sensitive, difficult, or even embarrassing. We mention this because since 1990, clients have come to us with some very bizarre and unusual situations they sought to resolve. In all these cases, the client’s trust and an overall resolution are our highest priority.
Who We Are
LA Intelligence, Inc. has been meeting the demanding needs of clients since 1990. From simple to complex, we have the experience and the resources necessary to handle almost any assignment. Unlimited intelligence contacts coupled with courage, business savvy, street smarts, a working knowledge of the law, and the ability to think critically help provide the results you are counting on when you retain our firm.
We have accepted cases that have taken us around the world and we look forward to assisting you with yours. The hiring of a private investigator should be taken seriously, and you should take the time to browse through our site as it is designed to provide you with specific information to help you decide whether you think we can assist you.
Like other agencies, we do not take every case and do not claim expertise in every area. Enter the site through the category that applies to you to learn more. You are also welcome to telephone the ON CALL INVESTIGATOR any time for a free consultation. We will be happy to listen and answer any questions you may have. We are not attorneys and cannot offer legal advice. However, we can tell you what remedy may be available for your specific need.
You can email us anonymously through our website contact page or firstname.lastname@example.org. In either case, we look forward to hearing from you and want to help. Our track record of success sets us apart from most as we take pride in producing results.
What We Do
LA Intelligence and our team of surveillance investigators take on the most challenging cases. Once we locate our subject, we will most likely NEVER lose sight of them. It is a dangerous job, and our trained investigators follow discreetly behind the vehicle while taking video. Not only do we follow each subject, we hide in bushes, change uniforms, go undercover, deliver flowers, dig through trash, create creative ruses, and most important, deliver results!!!
Chances are, this is the first time you are considering using the services of a private detective agency. Even if your issue is sensitive, challenging or embarrassing, we can help. During our initial consultation, we will let you know the strategy, cost, time frame, and likely outcome. We only take cases where there is a reasonable expectation of success.
We charge by the hour and do require a negotiated retainer to begin. Please feel free to contact us by telephone or email at no expense, so we can assess your case and advise you accordingly. We specialize in Infidelity, Child Custody, Fraud, Insurance Claims, Business Investigations, Workers Compensation, Personal Injury, Theft Cases, Missing Persons, and Discreet Undercover Operations.
What is a Private Investigator?
- Brian Mathews is the owner/qualifying manager of LA Intelligence, California Lic. #27187 and was first licensed by the state of Florida in 1990. Over the years, he has prided himself in providing world-class investigative services to law firms, insurance carriers, corporations, small businesses, and the general public.
We come from all walks of life. If you can pass the 250-question grueling exam, pass a rigorous background investigation, and possess 6,000+ hours of actual investigative experience, then perhaps you, too, can become a P.I.! Well, not exactly, but you’d be halfway there.
Many of us are formal law enforcement officers, government agents, or ex-military. Some of us have backgrounds in journalism, criminal justice, or a degree in a related field.
Brian served in the U.S. Navy as a Shore Patrolman (MP) and was issued a top-secret security clearance. He interned under James Danforth, a former Marine Captain and an operative for the CIA. He flew planes for the DEA in a narcotics operation undercover.
Before becoming a P.I. at age 32, he owned and operated a multimillion-dollar corporation which employed more than 100 people. His wide range of experiences coupled with the innate desire to find the truth, Brian is relentless in his pursuit of results when charged with an assignment.
Below is the state’s requirements to become a private investigator and the duties that we are licensed to perform. We hope this gives you a better idea of what we do and in what capacity we function. If you are in need of a service that you don’t see here, call us anyway as chances are we can still help you!
To verify the license of a California private investigator – click here.
Requirements for Licensure
A private investigator is an individual who among other duties (1) investigates crimes, (2) investigates the identity, business, occupation, character, etc., of a person, (3) investigates the location of lost or stolen property, (4) investigates the cause of fires, losses, accidents, damage or injury, or (5) secures evidence for use in court. Private investigators may protect persons only if such services are incidental to an investigation; they may not protect property. An individual, partnership, or corporation licensed as a private investigator may employ a qualified manager to manage the business on a day-to-day basis. To be eligible to apply for licensure as a private investigator/qualified manager, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 18 or older.
- Undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Have at least three years (2,000 hours each year, totaling 6,000 hours) of compensated experience in investigative work; or have a law degree or completed a four year course in police science plus two years (4,000 hours) of experience; or have an associate’s degree in police science, criminal law, or justice and 2 ½ years (5,000 hours) of experience. Experience must be certified by your employer and have been received while you were employed as a sworn law enforcement officer, military police officer, insurance adjuster, employee of a licensed PI or licensed repossessor, arson investigator for a public fire suppression agency, or an investigator for the public defender’s office. (Work as a process server, public records researcher, custodial attendant for a law enforcement agency, bailiff, agent who collects debts in writing or by telephone after the debtor has been located, or person who repossesses property after it has been located is not considered qualifying experience.)
- Pass a two-hour multiple-choice examination covering laws and regulations, terminology, civil and criminal liability, evidence handling, undercover investigations and surveillance. A copy of the Private Investigator Act will be sent to you; and Upon notification that you have passed the examination, you must submit a licensing fee of $175 to the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services, P.O. Box 989002, West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002.
Why You Should Hire Us
LA Intelligence is a state licensed detective agency that has been providing world-class, first-rate, professional investigative services to the Southern California community since 1990! If you have an issue that needs dealing with and you are looking for resolve, then you have come to the right place!
Law firms, Insurance Companies, Corporations, Small Businesses, and the General Public have been relying on our expertise and results-oriented approach for many years.
Our team of investigators possess the training and experience to handle matters involving unfaithful partners, domestic issues, surveillance, undercover operations, background investigations, missing persons, criminal defense, and any issue that you may find challenging that needs addressing in an aggressive manner.
Please contact us for a free consultation so that we may discuss your case, devise a plan and strategy, discuss the timeline, and negotiate a fair retainer.
We pride ourselves in helping people with perhaps the most difficult and challenging time of their lives and we would like to help you with yours!
Don't Go It Alone
Call or Email Us For a Free Consultation!
Serving All of Southern California
Here are just some of the areas we serve in Southern California:
Trust Your Instincts
When clients contact us about their suspicions,
they are on point 90% of the time!